Frequently Asked Questions
An automatic standby generator is a back-up electrical system that operates whether you are home or away. Within seconds of an outage, it automatically supplies power directly to your home’s electrical circuit breaker box. After utility power returns, the generator shuts itself off and waits for the next outage. It operates on natural gas or liquid propane gas and sits outside just like a central air conditioning unit.
During a utility power outage, an automatic standby generator provides numerous advantages over a portable generator:
- The American Red Cross recommends permanently installed standby generators as a safer way to provide backup power to a home than a portable generator.
- With an automatic standby generator properly installed outside, your home is protected from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning that is a much greater risk with portable generators.
- Running on the home’s natural gas or LP fuel supply, it is less expensive to run than gasoline and does not need to be refilled.
- They start automatically within seconds of a power outage, and eliminate the need to haul a portable generator outside or run extension cords throughout your home.
- They provide protection 24/7, whether you’re home or away, and they turn themselves off when utility power returns, so there is no need to monitor the unit during an outage.
The engines! Air cooled generators come with engines that use fans to force air across the engine for cooling, while liquid cooled generators use enclosed radiator systems for cooling, similar to an automobile. Generally, liquid cooled engines are used on larger kW generators due to the larger engines required for the higher power output.
Unlike all other engines manufactured primarily for lawn and garden applications, Generac OHVI engines are made specifically for generators. They are engineered to run for the long periods of time required during a severe power outage or on a job site, utilizing the same type of pressurized oil lubrication used to give automobile engines long and trouble-free lives. Generac OHVI engines have a significantly longer life than competitive engines – an unprecedented three to four times longer – making them the best investment on the market.
Because Generac engines were developed specifically for generators and designed to provide approximately 3,000 hours of use, with typical usage and proper maintenance an automatic standby generator can provide in excess of 30 years of service.
Example: Weekly exercise time (11 hours per year) plus four 20 hr. outages (80 hrs/year) equals 91 hours of operation per year OR over 30 years.
In addition to its sturdy galvanneal steel enclosure with RhinoCoat™, Generac is one of the few companies to offer premium aluminum enclosures for its residential standby generators. Aluminum enclosures are naturally rust and corrosion resistant. For salt air or high humidity conditions, aluminum is highly recommended to ensure decades of worry free service.
No…the generator fuel costs would be much more expensive than buying power from the utility company since their cost to produce electricity is divided among thousands of customers.
The most logical way to determine your needs is to envision your home without power! Some outages may be short in duration, while others could last for days or weeks. What would you like your living conditions to be?
Quality Generators takes the guesswork out of sizing by supplying the Guardian Series air cooled generators with predetermined numbers of circuits based on the generator’s kW power rating. For example, eight circuits are supplied for the 8 kW generator and as many as 16 circuits are supplied for the 17 kW generator. Each circuit is directly connected to a matched circuit on the home’s main circuit breaker panel, providing electricity to that specific appliance or area of the home.
Quality Generators also offers generators and transfer switches that can power the entire circuit breaker panel box…for these situations, we recommend consulting with our authorized personel.
Generac Guardian Series air cooled generator systems are prepackaged, pre-wired and come with comprehensive installation instructions. You could perform the simpler site preparation steps and have a professional make the electrical panel and fuel connections, or you could complete the entire installation yourself. However, for safety reasons and to ensure adherence to all local, state and national electrical codes, particularly for non pre-wired or larger systems, Generac recommends you use an authorized Generac dealer or licensed contractor.
Yes, simple maintenance is required. Every Generac Guardian Series standby generator is powered by Generac’s Overhead Valve Industrial (OHVI) engine. These engines were designed specifically for running long hours in harsh conditions and have maintenance intervals that are twice as long as leading competitors’. All generators require periodic oil and filter changes to ensure maximum performance for years of reliable service. Preventative maintenance kits are available and Quality Generators offer annual maintenance contracts for a worry-free ownership experience. Refer to the owner’s manual for routine maintenance procedures and schedules.
An SAE rated high detergent oil that meets API Service Class SF requirements for gasoline engines, similar to your car. Refer to your owner’s manual for details.
Generac generators are equipped with overload protection. In the rare event of an overload, the generator’s circuit breaker will trip, disconnecting the unit from the load. Simply correct the overload and reset the breaker in the generator.
Owner’s manuals and other technical/ repair information can be downloaded from our website or by calling 1-800-259-1426
Quality Generator Questions
- Free professional sizing specific to your needs.
- Proper permitting as required.
- Concrete slab poured.
- Includes delivery and set up including anchoring to concrete slab for stability as well as theft protection.
- We handle all plumbing and electrical connections with licensed employees according to national and local codes.
- We do a complete cleanup after the installation.
- Professional startup and check list to make sure everything is working properly and transferring power to your home.
- We process all the warranty information for you.
- We give you a full one year service policy.
- We offer annual service policies with full professional maintenance after the first year to maintain your generator for many years of dependable service.
- We are an authorized Generac and Kohler dealer
- We were awarded the 2009, 2011, & 2016 BBB Pinnacle Award, the BBB’s most prestigious customer service award
- We were awarded the 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, & 2015 BBB Award of Excellence, Winner of the Distinction for customer service award
- We are an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau
- We give you the power of peace of mind